Chicago’s Design 50
Despite the portrait of me in the piece (possibly the most unintentionally sad snap ever), I am very honored to be included in this list of designers in Chicago. Happier still that the definition of designer seems to be expanding.
Here’s the full article.
Views From The Tank
Button polyp coral
- bioMASON Grows Bricks
Learning from coral.
- The Ghost in the MP3
"Salvaging the sounds and images lost to compression via the MP3 and MP4 codecs."
- Debunking the Cul-de-Sac
“The reality is yes, you’re safer – if you never leave your cul-de-sac. But if you actually move around town like a normal person, your town as a whole is much more dangerous.”
- This Fish Smells Like its Food to Avoid Becoming Food
Works so long as its predator doesn't also savor the prey's food, I suppose.
- Recovering the Doves Type
SCUBA archaeology and typography? YES PLEASE.
- Big Data and Bacteria: Mapping the New York Subway’s DNA
Transit biome, yum!
- Terraforming audio waves
Turns any dropped waveform into a 3D flyover. Beethoven, design me a park!
- Fill the Gap contest aims to put Lego architecture in empty spaces
Cooler than the Architecture Studio set in some ways.
- Watch the eerie trailer for a horror film about a murderous EDM producer
"Someone’s gone and made a horror film about a murderous music producer who hears voices in his head and can only remedy the problem through the creation of EDM [electronic dance music]. We’re not kidding."
- The forgotten history of how automakers invented the crime of "jaywalking"
"In the early days of the automobile, it was drivers' job to avoid you, not your job to avoid them."