Views From the Tank
- November 13, 2014Evanston, ILApril 16, 2015Auckland, New Zealand
- Pope Francis declares evolution and Big Bang theory are right and God isn't 'a magician with a magic wand'
I've ceased being amazed at the courage of this fellow. Now only grateful.
- Frank Gehry Says Architecture Today Is "Pure Shit"
Confirmed: architectural criticism needs more profanity.
- IKEA Halloween
An ode to The Shining. Rewards multiple close watchings.
- The chemistry of the smell of old books
The smell of libraries is the odor of books dying. And I love it. (The smell, not the dying.)
- Park or Bird?
Because comics and computer science.
- Sea Coral: It’s (Soon to Be) in the Bones
"There are many reasons to push for coral conservation, but 'we’ll harvest it later for human bone grafting' isn’t one tossed around much."
- A Brief History of Buildings That Spin
360 degrees of nausea.
- WIRED Video: The Array of Things
"A Fitbit for the city."
- Here’s Why No One Shoots Engagement Photos in the Suburbs
"We wanted to capture the ambiance of the American subdivision."
- The 2015 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees Fan Vote
Kraftwerk, The Smiths, and Nine Inch Nails among others in the running this year.
Places Visited Recently
The reports say there were 30,000 people hugging the Chicago River between State and Columbus last night to witness the first ever Great Chicago Fire Festival. That’s a low count and it doesn’t capture at all the sense of anticipation and excitement that suffused the crowd — something I cannot ever remember witnessing in the […]Continue Reading
Sometime in the late 1940’s my grandfather, Eddie Tolva, took his two sons — my father and uncle — to the corner of Dakin Street and Sheridan Road and someone snapped a photo. Just three blocks north of the Wrigley Field scoreboard and nestled between a cemetery and a westward jog in what is now […]Continue Reading
A while back Iker Gil of Mas Context asked to interview me for an issue of his magazine focused on the topic of surveillance. The angle was to present data, especially urban data, through the lens of “tracing, archiving, control, camouflage, deletion and monitoring”. The topic was very relevant, given what we know about the […]Continue Reading