Views From the Tank
Sand-Sifting Sea Star
- September 25, 2014Chicago, ILOctober 1, 2014Evanston, ILNovember 6, 2014Chicago, IL
- From charred death to deep filthstep: the 1,264 genres that make modern music
Welp, guess I gotta re-tag my music library.
- Moonbow Beach
Had no idea there was such a thing as a moonbow.
- You killed the car!
Iconic scene from Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, in LEGO bricks.
- The Story of the Only American Not on Earth on September 11th
"I miss all of you very much."
- Grandmas keep accidentally tagging themselves as Grandmaster Flash on Facebook
I hope this never, ever stops.
- Newly discovered species defies “all existing classifications of life”
My bet: there's more life to discover in the Pacific's trenches.
- 3D Re-Printer Concept – All-in-one Plastic Recycling 3D Printer
What an incredible idea.
- City X Project
This is everything I ever wished I had as a child.
- Unseen Sensors: Constantly Sensing but Rarely Seen - Mayo Nissen
"Once you start noticing sensors in your city, you’ll see many more."
- Movie Monsters Deconstructed Into Ikea Instruction Manuals
Gonna need a Torx wrench for the Human Centipede, folks.
Places Visited Recently
Sometime in the late 1940’s my grandfather, Eddie Tolva, took his two sons — my father and uncle — to the corner of Dakin Street and Sheridan Road and someone snapped a photo. Just three blocks north of the Wrigley Field scoreboard and nestled between a cemetery and a westward jog in what is now […]Continue Reading
A while back Iker Gil of Mas Context asked to interview me for an issue of his magazine focused on the topic of surveillance. The angle was to present data, especially urban data, through the lens of “tracing, archiving, control, camouflage, deletion and monitoring”. The topic was very relevant, given what we know about the […]Continue Reading
A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of visiting Helsinki, Finland as a guest of Pluto Finland and Forum Virium. It was a trip long in the making, as I had been extended an invitation by the mayor of Helsinki, Jussi Pajunen, almost two years previously in my role at the City of Chicago. […]Continue Reading