There’s little I love more than when someone takes a simple idea and makes it extraordinary through attention to detail and good usability. That’s precisely what Coudal Partners, a design firm in Chicago that made a bit of a name for themselves with Photoshop Tennis, has done with their side business called Jewelboxing. They were unhappy with the packaging available for CD’s and DVD’s so they did something about it. I used their system to package the annual year-end mix I give out to my friends. Kudos to Coudal. Highly recommended.
- Open data: A new goldmine
"No one has a clue what breakthroughs open data will allow, just as Reagan never guessed that future drivers would obey robot voices telling them to turn left."
- How Swedish Malort Became Chicago's Mascot Bitter Drink : NPR
"Turning taste buds into taste foes for generations."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson's remake of Carl Sagan's 'Cosmos' headed to Fox in 2014
Perfect man for the job.
- Meet the Chicago Man Who Planned to Nuke the Moon
"Reiffel and his team focused on the potential scientific benefits of a lunar blast; beyond scaring the crap out of humanity."
- Coral-bots: teams of robots that repair reefs — Kickstarter
"Borrowing ideas from swarm intelligence, we can build on state of the art expertise in each of coral biology, autonomous underwater robots technology, swarm intelligence and video/image processing – giving coralbots the ability to distinguish coral and understand the other key things in its environment."
- Take the London Underground ... because it's closer to hell
A unique historical poster for the tube.
- Space Oddity revised and recorded by ISS Commander Chris Hadfield
Please can we make Hadfield chief of the ISS permanently?
- Meet ‘algoraves:’ Raves with music generated by artist-controlled algorithmic software
I want to like this. Not there yet.
- Anil Dash, ThinkUp on Big Omaha
Truly inspiring talk about how we can do better designing social interaction on the web. And what we can learn from mistakes doing so in cities.
- Pumpcast News
"You want Livin' on a Prayer?"
- Proud —> @cityforward: 'Free the Data, City Forward' - our 5-word speech @webbyawards. Way to go Jeff B! http://t.co/yipA2PIGlg 2 days ago
- It can be done! --> @anthonymobile: interesting lunch w/ @immerito talking real time data+planning, reconstituted visions for smart cities 2 days ago
- Oh good. It’s a cabbie who thinks the gas pedal is a bellows-pump for a harmonium. Hi, NYC! 4 days ago
- NYC and Philly, peeps: incoming next week. Hit me. 6 days ago
- Pomosexual. Donkey bridge. Eephus pitch. #termsfromtoday 6 days ago
- “Washington can learn from us.” @ChicagosMayor on immigration reform: linkedin.com/today/post/art… 17 hours ago
- Nat’l Day of Civic Hacking almost here. Many options in Chicago: smartchicagocollaborative.org/join-us-for-th…. I’ll be at Adler: civichack.adlerplanetarium.org Join us! 2 days ago
- CTA Train Tracker gets an update w/ “follow this train” and map of all active trains: transitchicago.com/traintracker/d…. Nice work @tonycoppoletta! 1 week ago
- .@scrawford presenting on broadband policy at @codeforamerica with G+ hangout to follow: 1p PDT. cfabroadbandpolicy.eventbrite.com 1 week ago
- RT @ChicagoCDO: Brenna Berman kicking off the #chisafehack @google http://t.co/oqrKddKX5y 1 week ago